Thursday 30 June 2011

Does Remembering Passwords Drive You NUTS!!

Are you sick and tired of trying to remember passwords?

Now with security such an important issue on the internet, it is important to keep your data safe …. but how on earth do you remember all those passwords - particularly now when such a lot of suppliers are asking for mandatory and complex passwords that contain capital letters, numbers and sometimes even characters that were only ever used to represent swear words :-)

The solution I use is called PassPack

It's a free password manager.  It works equally well for business or private use.  I know there are many more options but this one is currently working well for me.

It is a relatively simple to use tool that allows you to organise your passwords in a simple, yet secure environment.

It Lets You Decide Who You Share With

What I most love is that the free version allows me to share whatever passwords I select with my virtual assistant.  So if I change a password for instance, I only have to update it in one place and next time Melissa needs to log in to set up a newsletter or update a blog post - then its really easy for her to find the password and go to work.  Its not so easy for me to remember to update all the passwords I change :-) but user error will always plague any system!

Its As Safe As I Need

You can read about the security measures Passpack use to protect your data here then decide if its right for you.  It sure beats those little notepads so securely stored in an unlocked top draw!

I am a great believer in putting the right systems in place and then believing I am safe.

Even at The Cute House I have a full back to base security system and if it goes off the burly security guards from Central Highlands Security swing by and figure out what set the alarm off.  I've never had any trouble in a town where petty theft is rife.  Is that luck or is that the crims simply move to an easier target?  I had to smile - there was a piece in the paper about a string of cars being broken into in a certain street.  At the end of the article it did mention the cars who had items removed also co-incidently were the ones that weren't locked!   I still can't believe people need to be reminded not to write the pin on their ATM card - DUH! 

But in a world where the cat won't meow unless you enter an 8 digit secure password, it sure becomes stressful trying to remember them all.

Gone are the days when you could use one password for everything - not only does that sort of lapse security leave you wide open for unwanted visitors into your electronic world, that strategy falls short when you are asked to add capital letters and numbers.  

You type it in believing you will never forget, but just try to recall it under time pressure!


It's just not safe anymore to have your dogs name, kids birthdays or maiden name.  Even a really thick crim could go to your facebook page and easily find that sort of information in a flash.  But sadly even the crims in the striped t-shirt and black eye masks are a thing of the past.  You are most likely to be hacked, packed and sacked by a spotty faced kid in a darkened room or a machine these days.  Both are REALLY smart and in the flash of an eye can read your facebook page and go party with your credit card.

In business we really need to get serious about the security of our data and one way is to use a system like PassPack.  

As always discern which system is right for you

Passpack works for me because it lets me log in automatically - safely share with others and I'm able to access it anywhere with an internet connection, plus it does heaps more cool stuff.  There are also a lot of my peers who use and recommend this system, which always gives me a sense of added safety.  I do need Oli to come around and install some of the more advanced features for me - but even at its basic level - it makes my life a lot easier. 

You can take the tour here

Full disclosure:  I get no affiliate payments or rewards from this company - at the time of writing I recommend it because its the solution I use and find helpful

No comments: