Thursday 18 August 2011

Online Oppie

Well I think I've just about seen everything now - there is a company in the USA that is an online op-shop and worse I've already found something I want on the first page!

Its a basic twist on the time honoured tradition of sending your tat and junk somewhere so some else can claim your tat and junk.

Givmo have just taken the concept of an online op-shop …. online.  

So if you got something you want to ditch, you simply put a photo of it up on the Givmo website.  If someone wants it - they simply contact you - pay the postage and you ship it to them.


To be honest I've never been much of an op-shop gal - I only ever seem to find junk in there and it always seems to take forever to trawl through everything on offer.  But I do like this online concept because it has categories - I don't have to trawl the whole shop to find the one gem I'm looking for.  And it doesn't smell bad - op-shops often have an odd smell that I'm really not fond of.

It is also a great environmental idea because it reuses things rather than recycling them or having the need to produce a new one.  I am a bigger fan of not having the thing in the first place, but even I manage to amass a heap of stuff I don't really use or want.  I sometimes marvel at the way it gets in.

Many benefits with the Givmo concept includes a $1 donation to a charity of the month - with this month being the World Wildlife Fund which is doing great things in the protection of animals - so overall it gets the Mz Margz tick of approval.

So if you need to clean out that office and make some space in your business or life - then maybe this is for you.

The cynic in me of course would point out that the time it takes to get the item to the post office is more hassle than the drop to an actual op shop - but I guess it is just another way of looking at a time honoured tradition and a different take on something that works incredibly well in the real world - so why wouldn't it do well in the online world too.

You can read more here

Now for the big question - does my friend really need the fake grass that goes around the kitty litter tray to stop her cat spreading kitty litter all over the house???  It seems I can get a specially designed, fit for for purpose fake grass mat on Givmo - who'd a thought there was even such a product!  Bet I can't get that at the Daylesford Vinnies!

No comments: