Sunday 5 October 2008

How I Overcame My Fear of Public Speaking & Networking All in One Night


Why would any sane individual choose to overcome their fear of public speaking in front of an audience of their peers?

I can’t think of a single good reason why anyone would do that but it’s how I decided once and for all to shake my fear of public speaking and “get over myself and get on with it”.

You can listen here to how I overcame my fears and did my first public speaking event. This audio will show there is no better way than putting yourself outside your comfort zone and "just doing it!"


MP3 File

Listening time: 15 minutes 40 secs

Summary
1. Speak on topics you are passionate about and know a lot about

2. Know your target market and never speak outside it

3. Write your talk at least one week out from the event

4. Practice and tweak, practice and tweak

5. Make your start and finish impactful & learn them off by heart

6. Have notes with bullet points on the podium to remind you what goes in the middle (in case you forget)

7. Keep it succinct and don’t try to tell them everything you know all at once

8. Embrace the fear and use it to your advantage – the adrenalin is helping to pump you up for the talk

9. Get over yourself and make it about the audience

10. Be yourself; be real and be authentic – it works a treat!
I have realised my message is now more important than me so I just continue to get over myself and get on with it. I trust this nutty little (true) story will help you overcome your fears too.

No comments: