Sunday 25 May 2008

The Defiant Decision

I’m going to share a BIG dark secret with you. Please don’t tell any of those wafty positive souls who never let any dark thoughts or words pass through their being.

We have a lot of fear to bust and challenges to overcome when setting up a small practice, often working from home with little knowledge of what it takes to run a small business.

I love my positive statements but to be totally frank and honest the thing that makes me do the really hard stuff in my small business (like pick up the phone when I really don’t want to) is my Defiant Decision.

Do you remember the wonderful little cartoon of the defiant mouse that did the rounds a few years back? There was a cute little mouse standing on a barren cliff face with no where to go. Flying towards him was an enormous eagle with a massive wingspan and talons & beak ready to swoop in and rip him apart. The little mouse was standing there knowing he was seconds away from being eaten but he was defiantly giving the eagle the finger. The caption was “the last act of great defiance”. This is a funny but memorable message that has been etched into my brain as I defied the odds and got my practice happening.

My defiant decision statement is the thing I’ll do ANYTHING to avoid and it is:

“If you DON'T do this, you have to go back to corporate”

There it is my ultimate driving force. When everything else fails and I’m faced with doing something I really don’t want to do and all the positive affirmations aren’t working I simply say “well Margaret if you don’t do this and make a bit of money you’ll have to go back to corporate to pay the bills”.

You would be amazed how defiant I can become to that statement and how quickly I go into action when faced with the thought of going back to corporate.

The reason is that as humans we relate better to pain than pleasure (as weird as that sounds). So when I weigh up the pro’s and con’s of what it means to not be working for a boss again and not working on soul destroying projects with people who have sold their souls to the machine against the freedom of my own business, then it becomes an easy option. The reason is because I know what working for the machine feels like is because I can evoke that feeling in every cell.

My ultimate positive driver is to bring peace to the planet via helping natural therapists see more people. It’s a wonderful thought but as yet I haven’t fully experienced it so I can’t always use it fully to motivate myself.

So what is your defiant decision??

No comments: