Monday 19 November 2007

How to Push Past Your Fears of Self Promotion

Mirror work and self promotion

MP3 File

Question

What are the best tools you can use to push past your fears of self promotion?

Answer

This is a key question in the success or failure for many practitioners. It’s the fear of self promotion that kills people who work from the heart. There are many different tools to use to get you out in the world but the best one is getting a firm belief in your abilities to help people. Once you have that nothing can stop you. If you can put your own stuff aside and only focus on the fact the every time you go out the front door you get a chance to tell another person how you can help people come to gain greater health and wellbeing in their life. You will go to great lengths when you have a higher vision.

The biggest thing to remember is that not everyone is going to want to know you. In the old days my coach made me go out with the expectation that 100% of people were going to say no, that way I could never feel I’d failed. If only one said yes, well it was just a big bonus. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself to get a big bundle of yes’s in the early days. The thing is once I went out with no expectation of course I was just being myself and that helped people say yes more often.

The greatest tool I have is the mirror. In the early days I was encouraged by my coach to stand in front of a mirror and look myself in the eye and say really outrageous things that voice your fear in positive terms. So if you are afraid of speaking, you stand there and say I am the best platform speaker in my state. When you finally believe that, you start saying I am the best platform speaker in the country. Then you just repeat it over and over again until your cells start to believe it. Much of my fear busting is a result of mirror work and then going out and facing the fear. It’s worth the discomfort to get to work positively with people and live your dream of helping others.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ms Margz,
I totally agree with you latest blog about self promotion and helping people.

Just because you know you can help people doesn’t automatically mean they are ready for your services.

What you are letting them know is that you are there for them when they need you! Clients must be willing to take steps toward self improvement, you won’t get them just because you want them on your treatment couch. As practitioners, we can ‘remind’ them occasionally of the ‘other way’ they can feel, especially if they keep complaining about the same things, remind them that they are in control of their lives and they can do something to change their circumstances! We just need to wait until they realise that!!!

Ignorance is bliss, change requires effort and sometimes self reflection which people today seem scared of, but it is sooooooo worth it eventually.

I now believe that’ I know I’m good at what I do. The people that come and see me are ready to make changes in their lives. They love what I can facilitate within them.’ They are starting to get out there and tell their friends and families about what is happening and how, and the referrals are starting to trickle in. What I am now waiting for (and I know it will happen) is for the trickle to grow into a tidal wave.

Thanks for listening,

Robyn Stitt
Complementary Therapist
(Kinesiology, Sekhem Reiki, Ear Candling)
Strathalbyn South Aust
0437 601 550

SoulErika said...

Hi Margaret,
I appreciate your blog and this post and what you offer for free that you post that is helpful to others. I think you are very remarkable and professional.

This comment is just to say thank you very much,

Erika L Soul
Divine Angel Readings
& Rainbow healings~
www.rainbowhealings.com

Margaret GIll said...

Thank you Erika - I'm so pleased the information is of help to you and thank you for letting me know - its been an horrendous 24 hours as our little town was seriously threatened by bush fires and your comment came at a particularly good time for me when I needed a little boost.